Only Revolutions

Talk about your favorite books you read or pretend to be reading

Moderator: Hatter Police

Only Revolutions

Postby TheCountess on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:10 am

Have you read it yet?! Heard of it? I must have it... I must have it now!!! House of Leaves was by the same author, and is one of my favourite books of all time. I've read the first pages of this one and now exist in painful longing for a time I can afford it...

:help: :rub: :loves:
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Astarte on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 am

Ooooh! I haven't read either. I need a good book after I finish the one I'm currently reading, thanks for the tip. :D
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:11 pm

I haven't heard of or read either

what are they about?
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby TheCountess on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 am

I got Only Revolutions! It was even better than I imagined!

Well, they each have a cult following, but they ARE pretty obscure because of the style the author chooses to write in... I think it's been termed experimental.

Houseof Leaves is like two stories in one... It's mostly a story about this film about a house and the people who live in it. One day they come home and theres a door with a long hallway in it where there is just a wall between bedrooms. Then they discover their house is one and a quarter inches longer on the inside than the outside. It kinda builds on that. But that story is within another story, about Johnny Truant finding this story about the film and trying to copy it out from the scribblings of a dead guy, and eventually going nuts as the story gets to him. To make things really confusing, Johnny's story is told entirely in footnotes, the story is written "cinematically", like in the paragraph about crawling down a shrinking hallway the text gets smaller and smaller on the page, and in a line about falling there's only one word per page. Plus certain words are always in certain colours, entire paragraphs are crossed out... It's a fairly difficult book to read, but it's an absolutely brilliant story. I couldn't sleep without a light on for a month after reading it.

Only Revolutions is about two teenagers, Hailey and Sam, who are always sixteen. They're travelling across America and through time so that time and reality won't catch up with them. It's also experimental... They each have a story starting at opposite sides of the book, with half the text on each page upside down. You read 8 pages of one story, then flip it over and read 8 pages of the other. Revolutions feature largely, the whole story is cyclical and flips around. His writing style in this one is pretty hard to decipher at times, so it takes a couple of reads. But it's a beautiful, pretty powerful story. It took me a few days just to read the last few pages... I could see what was coming and didn't want it to! If only you could change the ending just by not reading it...

These books do require a lot of patience to read, but the stories within them, I just fell in love with. They are well worth the time and effort. I think I'm done prattling on now, I've probably put more people off than attracted to them! Well, I think they're fabulous, they are the jewels of my entire book collection. Much better than the vacuous chick-lit I read for lack of anything else. I must get my copy of OR back from my friend, I'm dying to read it again.
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:54 pm

it sounds fun and interesting
I'll have to try it
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter