help with writing!

Anything you write

Moderator: Hatter Police

help with writing!

Postby princess on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:39 pm

im writin this story, and, like, the first three or four chapters were really...intense and good, and i have a bunch of plot to put in, but first i have to write about a whole three days worth of not much happening, but its important i write in detail even though not much happens to my characters during those 3 days. does anyone gots any ideas for how i can fill in those 3 days without them beeing boring?
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nil on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 am

You can warn the reader that the first three chapter is really really boring and then reemphasize it, making it comical and thus humorous.

But usually it's better just to skip the first three boring days first and then later on do a flash back.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby hamster on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I am never bored, so long as I have my liberty.

Something to ponder.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby TheCountess on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am

Just talk about how the next three days were pretty quiet and have them going about their everyday stuff. It helps to give the reader an idea of their background and environment and stuff if you have them doing everyday life things first.
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:34 pm

if there are any really important things in those three days you could say it was quiet and they did such and such
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Now i need more help!
my main characters which don't really get along well need to spend time bonding for a couple of days before one of them gets kidnapped by the enemy.
What kind of semi dramatic event could happen all of a sudden which could help bring them together?
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby hamster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:21 pm

They could both accidentally step into a sticky pile of sun-melted bubble gum left behind by a careless group of passing cheerleaders, just as a distant volcano erupts, blocking out daylight and freezing the gum solid, making it impossible for them to escape its grasp until the dust clears and the sunlight returns.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:08 pm

there could be a storm and the only shelter they find is a tiny cave in the middle of nowhere
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Re: help with writing!

Postby Insanity test on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:10 am

Don't worry too much about being boring. In most books the vast majority is not much happening or long descriptive passages. If you aren't sure what to write, try writing the first idea that comes to your head, even if you can't see where it's going; I often find that as I write I'm thinking of another detail I can describe.

As for events, think of your own life. How did you meet your best friend/boyfriend/girlfriend? Could your characters meet in a similar circumstance?

If a character needs to feel strongly about another in a short space of time, try a dramatic circumstance like saving their life or being saved. Or needing to trust them with something and being rewarded in that trust.
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.