geneticaly modified foods?

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

geneticaly modified foods?

Postby princess on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:49 pm

do you think that geneticaly modified foods should be made illegal?
Sure, they grow faster/larger, or are more resistant to diseases or whatever and good for the economy, but they often taste not as good as normal ones, could devestate natural populations, and there is no long term research to prove that they are safe.
What do you think?
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:51 pm

I think people should decide on what they eat
after all, people do choose to eat at places like mcdonalds and who are we to stop
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Astarte on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:49 am

How do you know you aren't eating them already?
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby nil on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:16 am

We are consuming them in pretty large quantity now. Most of the food, other than the organic labeled, are more or less genetically modified (or using chemical fertilizers).

We are testing those genetic food for the next generation, if we don't die too soon, then I guess the next generation can safely assume those food are eatable.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby hamster on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:26 pm

People have been genetically modifying food for thousands of years -- just not in such technologically precise ways as now. So the whole controversy is ridiculous. Not to mention keeping perfectly good food out of the mouths of people who are starving to death.

For example, that sweet, juicy corn you had for dinner last night? Its ancient, wild ancestor probably looked more like a lawn weed than an edible.

Your dog, unless you own a purebred wolf kidnapped from some wildlife refuge, is another example of genetic modification.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby princess on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:37 am

but there's a difference between natural evolution of a plant or animal than tampering with its genes in a lab.

in australia where i live, the food is upposed to be labeld as having been geneticaly modified, and when it is, i don't buy it. but it seems that many gm foods are still unlabelled! kuso!
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby hamster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

princess wrote:but there's a difference between natural evolution of a plant or animal than tampering with its genes in a lab.

in australia where i live, the food is upposed to be labeld as having been geneticaly modified, and when it is, i don't buy it. but it seems that many gm foods are still unlabelled! kuso!

What's natural about what we've done to a chicken or a potato plant to suit our preferences?
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Gene mod food

Postby nil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:01 am

So instead of mixing species of seeds together in somebody's farm house in the good old days, we now mix those seeds in a more hygienic laboratory, with high tech equipment, and top grade lavatory system, ...and some mad scientists with doctor degrees.... What is so scary about that?

I meant most genetically modified food are safe to eat, other than a few extreme examples (like that time when they tried to add a fly's gene to a corn's gene and ended up with a flying corn), most gene-mod food are palatable and safe to eat. At the end of the day, it's no different than dipping tortilla chips into salsa sauce.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby hamster on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 pm

But the dipping can be unsafe when in the presence of chronic double-dippers.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter