3 movie reviews

Talk about your favorite movies (or cartoons, if you still wear diapers lol ).

Moderator: Hatter Police

3 movie reviews

Postby nil on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 am

I have seen 3 movies in the last two weeks and here's my reviews:

1) Star War III - Revenge of the Seth.
It's the third of the six and the last of the six. It's the third best and the fourth worst. The beginning reminds me of the "the Giant Lobster from Mars". Actually the Giant Lobster probably acts a little better, a bit more convincing. Even the Lobster's dialog (which sounds like "Arhhhhhh-EEEWWE") is more lively. But that was just the beginning. Star Wars get much better as the story progress. Obi-wan is the best character in the whole movie. Yoda is not bad. Darth Vader and the Senator is kind of silly but OK. And Lucas throw in some Bush lines into Darth Vader's mouth (You are either with us or against us). I'll give him some credit for that. Overall, not too disappointed with this movie.

2) [url]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/url]
If they translated the book faithfully into a movie, it probably will become the worst movie in history--But they didn't. It was rewritten by the Shrek team, and they did a great job. You can still recognize the movie from the book, and get a coherent story at the same time (which is a huge challenge). They miss all the philosophical part of the book, but that's understandable. It's a great novel, but not a movie novel (movie wasn't that big at that time). At least it's entertaining. It can't substitute the book (the books are still far better), but I must say I'm not disappointed with the movie, even the ending is pretty good.

3) Howl's Moving Castle
If I can only see one movie in the last two weeks (or even the whole year), I'll probably pick this one. Miyazaki makes the best animation in the world. The imagery is stunning. It's fairy tale, it's nostalgic, it's dreamy, it's impossibly great. The story is about a girl being cursed into an old lady and her encounter with the peace loving wizard Howl. Probably not a marketable story ( an old lady won't fit on the Burger King's Super Cup). But it's touching. It's not about killing each other or who's better than who. Not that kind of "I-am-all-powerful and kill-the-ugly-witch" movie. It's about loving-the-ugly-witch-who-cursed-you and the silliness of the I'm-so-powerful-mentality. The story gets a bit flimsy at the end, but it still sticks together. It's the only time that old style hand-drawn animation actually beat the computer one. No amount of pixel counts can even come close to the fantastic vision in this movie.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Ivan on Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Star War III - Good movie.
maybe will think up continuation for it...
Excuse my bad English
Ivan
Baby Hatter
Baby Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:03 pm

yes i defintly think star wars deserves a slightly better reveiw then it got
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Cherokee_girl on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:27 pm

I want to see Howl's moving castle when it gets into town but that may take a while.
I have seen HHGTTG, but haven't read the books yet. Haven't seen Star Wars 1, 2, or 3 yet; watched 4, 5, and 6 many times.
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.

Postby Bomadeno on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:56 pm

We get to watch films every half yearish.. if we are lucky.

So my reading reviews is not much use. Amazingly I pestered enough to get to see HHGTTG
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter