Poker for a living

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Poker for a living

Postby Loran Thompson on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:53 pm

What do people think about people who play poker for a living? With the big poker boom it may be more acceptable but historically people who declared playing poker as their occupation were looked at as unstable "gamble-holics" and lowlifes. Just let me know what do you think about people who make a living playing poker in general.
Loran Thompson
Almost Hatter
Almost Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:54 pm

meh... It can be good or bad.
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Poker Players

Postby nil on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:49 pm

There are losers and there are winners. Most players thought they are winners, but in fact, most of them are losers.

Losers sometimes win. Winners sometimes lose. They are not judged by the winning or losing in a single game, but on the overall success of their gambling ventures.

Poker is probably the best metaphor of life. The one who understand poker will understand the mechanism of life. The wise sometimes lose. The fools sometimes win. But being wise, you have a larger chance of winning. Being dumb, you have a larger chance of losing.

There are professional poker players. It's just a legal way of taking money from the suckers, for those fools who think they are wise. Occasionally, you see the fool beat the wise, it happens sometimes, for there are so many fools in the world, some of them ought to get lucky.

The successful poker players are not low life by any means. They usually have some other jobs and only use poker as their income supplement. Poker is not a game of chance, as long as you play against poor players. However, if you play with someone equal or better than you, then it's gambling...
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Loran Thompson on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:07 pm

The reason I am interested in the opinion is because I have found great success in the game of poker. In fact, I made 6 consecutive final tables in CXXXXX tournaments. The buy-ins were between $60-$150, and do not expect to become a celebrity playing but believe I can make an "honest" living at it. I am very happy playing and I know I can be great. I get a lot of respect from other players who are professional people. From restaraunt and car dealership owners to doctors and district attorneys. I love the game, and the respect I get playing it. The problem is outside of the poker circle people look at me like Im a gamble addict, or unstable person, and think that I should continue my education and stick to a "real career".
Loran Thompson
Almost Hatter
Almost Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:00 pm

One thing to do, (if you haven't already, I bet you have sence you are doing well) is continualy study the game. As for those outside the poker circle, you can tell them that you are doing well in poker and that it is a game of skill that you are good at. Perhaps compare it to a profetional sports player in that you are intertaners. You are just charging a fairly high rate and only those woh play with you pay. Good luck!
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby trumpetprodigy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm pathetic at poker. That's why I usually jst play for fun with my nephew. I would lose too much money. If I was skilled at poker, then I could become a proffessional poker player. But I'm not.
"Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that people who have more of them, live longer."
To Victory, and Beyond!!!
trumpetprodigy
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:01 am

I only ever play for fun, I've never actually played for money at anything.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:17 pm

I hardly ever play poker, but one time we played for ages and i kept giving back cards and getting the same numbers in exchange! different cards, but the same numbers.
i gave back the queen of hearts and the 3 of spades, i got the queen of clubs and the 3 of diamonds!! AArgh! This hapened three times with different cards. :x
Then we switched to another game (can't remember what) and I got my cards, and the first five cards were a flush!! But they were useless in the new game!!! :cry:
I think poker has it in for me and I would be on the dole if i did it for a living. But if your good at it and getting success AND respect, I see no reason for stopping at all. :D
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

Postby Nobody on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:32 pm

A lot of proffesional gamblers are cheaters.

Its perticuliarly easy to cheat playing poker online. Just get 2 or 3 different computers and set them up with all different IP addresses. Then have each one of them sit down at your game. Whoever is unlucky enough actually play against you and your three buddies will, unless extremely lucky most definitly lose. You can make a lot of money that.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby Loran Thompson on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:24 am

To say a lot of professional gamblers are cheaters may be correct. But as a percentage there are very few cheaters. I beleive cheating is bad for the game of poker, or "collusion" as it is referred to in the sense in which you are talking about. There are very technical strategies to use when you are in collusion with others, and if you dont be careful you only end up losing 3x as much money. I think online poker is a good thing for the game, but I personally do not enjoy it. It takes away the elements of reading other people and table presence. Oh yeah before I forget, if someone were to cheat they ought to stick to playing online because if they were to get caught in person things would probably get ugly. :evil:
Loran Thompson
Almost Hatter
Almost Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:17 am

I personaly hate cheaters with a passion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x if you are pickin' up what I'm throughin' down. I will not ever play with a know cheater.

Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Nobody on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:58 pm

Math_nerd wrote:I personaly hate cheaters with a passion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x if you are pickin' up what I'm throughin' down. I will not ever play with a know cheater.

:evil:

Cheaters Always Win
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:55 pm

nooooo........

cheeters win a game, then people find out they cheeted, then the cheeter wishis they had never been born...... :evil: :evil:

Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:39 pm

Depends entirely on how good you are at cheating. I never do it, tub am particularly good at it. The two may well be intertwined.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:17 pm

I hate cheeting so much I often memorize game boards If am am leveaving even for a short time. I memorize chess boards in paticular. :shock:

Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Next