Humanity's eventual End

Do you think the Universe is a Pie, a Turtle or something else? Post your opinion here.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Humanity's eventual End

Postby Nobody on Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:48 am

When considering time, and the extreme distance between the planet Earth and other galaxy's, you begin to see that the odds of two advanced civilizations ever meeting each other are very slim.

The time that humans have been around is really but a blink of an eye when compared to how old the entire universe is. And if you take time and the size of the entire universe into account its pretty much impossible.

For a lifeform to survive long enough to actually meat another advanced lifeform, they would have had to adapt to living in space. Which would mean that for the most part any advanced civilization that travels for thousands or millions of years in space would have had to replace most of there body with machines, really just to survive.

Eventually Humans will be forced off of planet earth and will be forced to live in space, if they are to survive.

I think the overall essence of humanity might live on forevor, but in a robotic, cyborgish type way.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

About conciousness

Postby nil on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:45 am

That depends on what is mankind.

Suppose we can copy all the DNA structure, chromosomes, cellular information and other important parts that I couldn't name and replicate an exact copy of ourselves. Is that replica really ourselves? Or would it be someone else?

Are we a physical structure? We can create logic and teller machine but can we recreate consciousness? Where did that thing came from? If that's the manifestation of a physical phenomenon, like your computer browser, or your mp3 player, which is a manifestation of your computer hardware, we can easily replicate one, can't we? For software must exist together with hardware. Can our consciousness exist without our physical body? Can our consciousness be ever reproduced, like copying a song from the Internet?
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby nowhere man on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:57 am

No, I don't think so, but that would be pretty cool wouldnt it
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:53 pm

i think it may be possible.. tub i'm yet to prove it.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Re: About conciousness

Postby Nobody on Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:45 pm

nil wrote:That depends on what is mankind.

Suppose we can copy all the DNA structure, chromosomes, cellular information and other important parts that I couldn't name and replicate an exact copy of ourselves. Is that replica really ourselves? Or would it be someone else?

Are we a physical structure? We can create logic and teller machine but can we recreate consciousness? Where did that thing came from? If that's the manifestation of a physical phenomenon, like your computer browser, or your mp3 player, which is a manifestation of your computer hardware, we can easily replicate one, can't we? For software must exist together with hardware. Can our consciousness exist without our physical body? Can our consciousness be ever reproduced, like copying a song from the Internet?

Its only a matter of time before we create an artificial intelligence that is smarter than our own. And then whose to say that we won't just download the information from our own brain into one of those computers.

We already use robots and computers to do most of our work in space. What if we built a computer with the AI that is smarter than our own and sent it out into the far reaches of space, perhaps even into a black hole just to see what happens. What if that machine actually met another advanced civilization?

What if we sent that same robot with a case of human and animal DNA, with orders to, if it ever found a planet that was hospitable to humans, to clone the dna and create life.

What if we humans never do find another hospitable planet to live on, perhaps we find a suitable planet but theres no oxygen in the atmosphere. What if we modified our own bodys and replaced our lungs with something that was capable of breathing in whatever was in the atmosphere on that planet. What if that planet's gravity is twice that of earth, do we replace our muscles and bones with those that are stronger?

Where does it end?

Would not mankind still be living on in all those cases, even though not in its original form?
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Conciousness

Postby nil on Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 am

We already have computers smarter than ourselves.

Consciousness is a quite interesting thing. There's nothing intelligent about it. Human, animals, insects are all are conscious beings (they might not be intelligent beings, but they are concious beings).

All other knowledge we acquire through observation of the physical world. Yet consciousness does not exist because of observation. We don't exist because we think, we see, or we smell. We exist--period. There's no interruption in between. Existence happens instantly, without any apparent cause.

We can, I suppose replace every parts of our body to some other materials, but where does that "consciousness" thing being stored? Can that be replicated? If it's replicated, is it still the original consciousness?
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:51 pm

Do we begin existing when we are born, or when we become aware we have been born?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:24 pm

When we're born born. Because my pencil sharpener definlty exists, but it is not aware of it
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby punk04 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:55 am

no you cant replace consious and you dont no if your born if your not told if u remember being small you asked where did i come from at that time you didnt know you were born u just simply thaught you existed untill you were told
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Moment of birth

Postby nil on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:53 am

That's memory. We don't remember we were born, but at the time of birth, we might very well aware of us being born (and forgot later).

As it seems we might even have the knowledge of advance space travelling, time travelling and other neat stuff at the moment of our birth, we just forget it later.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Re: Conciousness

Postby Math_nerd on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:40 am

nil wrote:We already have computers smarter than ourselves.

how so? We may have computers that can think faster and hold more infromation but a computer is a machine. It cannot reason. That is why untill we can grow brains, nothing man made will be as intellegent as man.

With the exeption, of course, of people. You could argue that although poeple weren't desined by man, they are man-made.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

reason, and i might rhyme...

Postby JoshLevine on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:13 am

not necessarily though.

but seriously, maybe we're supposed to unite the heart and the mind in the belly-tantien-pool-of-mary-joseph-+-the-holy-who-gives-a-vegan-burger which is your lower abdomen and then our thoughts will quiet down cuz we're learning something about the world from our direct experience rather than speculating within our ongoing calcification of the mind aka our boundaries.....fear breeds in constant thought.......let the thoughts take a listen and let the world do the talking for as long as possible.......

yeh......

mmmm......
JoshLevine
Baby Hatter
Baby Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:49 pm

but the cockroaches will still be
even after we are gone the cockroaches will live on
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter