Salem Witch Trials

An extremely serious discussion on academic improvements.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Salem Witch Trials

Postby Cherokee_girl on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:41 pm

This is a recent topic brought up, not in history, but in english. We are beginning to read The Crucible. I think this could be an interesting topic.

I think the witch trials could be deemed 'good for the community' if people are teaching things that are moraly wrong. But burning people for healing others could just result in harming yourself. You are killing someone who is trying to help.

Does anyone agree or disagree? Why?
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.

Witch Hunt

Postby nil on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:26 am

I would think the witch hunt is just a lesser version of the Jews Prosecution, KKK, Stalinism and other silly things man used to do. That happen when some people just want to take advantage of the hysteria of the mass.

Take for example, George Burroughs, who got hunt probably because of his monetary dispute with the Salem Church instead of being a witch. He was a minister for nine years and suddenly got accused of being the ring leader of the witches. Really baffling. Same as the Stalinist killing, lots of people got killed under the name of communism. People borrow the name of something to kill somebody they don't like. Nothing new. The KKK and Jews Prosecution are more "indiscriminate killing". In those events, they kill people who has little to do with themselves. But they are all based on the same barbaric instinct of man.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby nowhere man on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:01 pm

"the same barbaric instinct of man"
what instinct is that? theinstinct to kill people?
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

*Barbaric Instinct

Postby nil on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:56 am

Barbaric Instinct - an instinct to do silly things... like opening a can with a pencil sharpener or chopping off people's fingers to make soup.

Other Instincts are better, especially the lottery instinct which helps you to win lottery or the shortest line instinct which helps you to find the shortest lineup in the cashier checkout.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Witch trials

Postby vampress on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm

The salem witch trial was just a way to get even with the people someone didn't like. Why else would you burn 30 people without alot of evidence. Human instincts can run from how you live to when not to get your self get killed.
vampress
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:48 pm

It was over a religious dispute and the people doing the burning did it just because the other people didn't totally agree w/their religion
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Cherokee_girl on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:01 pm

Pimienta wrote:It was over a religious dispute and the people doing the burning did it just because the other people didn't totally agree w/their religion
There actually wasn't any burnings; all who died were hanged except one(He was crushed to death)
The puritans(the people doing the trials) believed that where you would go(heaven or hell) was preordained. But witchcraft went against their every basis of religion.
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.