For all of those out there who enjoy political ......

Talk about your favorite books you read or pretend to be reading

Moderator: Hatter Police

For all of those out there who enjoy political ......

Postby Math_nerd on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:05 am

I am reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It is a sip;y brilliant book. But as I am only a small portion of the way through, I will have ot go and read it now.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby nil on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:34 am

It's a very long book. I started it a few years ago and still haven't finished it yet.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Astarte on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:52 pm

I've read it....... I couldn't rave about it. :?

War and Peace by Tolstoy and The Lord of the Rings are two books that I've never had the strength to finish. I love long books but some are.......... well, they just don't do it for me. Sometimes you find that, for you, the characters just aren't that interesting...

I used to feel embarrassed that I'd never completed these, but eventually it becomes a talking point.

Films are the same. I love 2001: A Space Odyssey but was told on another forum that it was boring!!! Gasp! :wink:
It is quite slow but the ideas that it presents are most interesting. Ah well, everyone is different (thank goodness!).
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:24 am

I'd have to say that I liked The Fountanhead better. Although Ayn Rand has some good points in Atlas, I think that I like George Orwell better. anyway, Does anyone have some paticularly good leftest political novilists? I have heard a great deal form the right from Orwell and Rand. hmmmm.

I never could ge through two books. Melville's Mobie Dick and Thoreau's Civil Disobedance.

Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Some political books

Postby nil on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:18 am

Here's some Political books from the left:

[url]Oryx and Crake[/url] - Margaret Atwood - This is not too political but is pretty good (the idea is similar to brave new world).

[url]Handmaids Tale[/url] - also by Margaret Atwood - This one is extremely political and pretty anti-conservative. It's like 1984 but with the conservative taking power instead of the communist. It's kind of boring and I fell asleep reading it (same thing happens when I read Ayn Rand). But the book is pretty good (but even good book can be boring too).

[url]Golden Compass by Philip Pullman[/url] - This sounds like a teenage book but is actually pretty political. Also extremely anti-conservative. (these 3 books are very good)

[url]Saturday by Ian McEwan[/url] - It's pretty political but I can't really tell his political stand. (I like his other book Atonement better)

I think Ayn Rand is suggesting objectivism. I don't quite understand why it's so appealing to the people on the right. I thought it was closer to the libertarian idea. And some ideas are actually contradicting to the modern conservative idea (at least the modern American conservative). Maybe I misread her somehow.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Math_nerd on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 pm

She is pro Capitalism and mostly pro big guy and the little guy is an evil blood sucking parisite by nature. I am about 3/4 of the way through Atlas and That is mostly what I have pick up. thanks for the books by the way.

Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

#

Postby Kilroy2-bn on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm

For political, I suggest Manslayronia. For stupid I suggest Middle Korea. For stupider, I sujjest Jamzinia.
Kilroy2-bn