The Universe and Everything In It

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

The Universe and Everything In It

Postby Astarte on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:18 am

I've always wondered if the universe might be a flake of dandruff upon some gigantic shoulder, size being relative, and in due course a giant hand might not just brush it away, time also being relative.

I brought this idea up in another thread, but wondered if the idea might be worth debating?

Our entire universe might be as insignificant as a speck of dandruff and disposed of just as easily.

The only reason that we aren't aware of this total insignificane is because time is relative....
The life of our solar system/galaxy/universe migtht be a micro-second in the"real-time" of a greater universe so vast that we cannot even begin to imagine it.

Reality is based on our perception of it.

Our entire universe and everything in it might not be as large and wonderful as our egos allow us to imagine it to be. It could, in fact, be so small and insignificant that it may not even be noticeable.

It could be a flake of dandruff on some creatures head. That creature, in brushing his hair sees the flake of dandruff and brushes it off his shoulder, and crushes our universe, destroying it forever.

But in his universe, in those moments that it takes to brush away that speck of dandruff, billions of years have passed for us.

What if our universe were an atom in another creature's universe. All the galaxies spinning around like electrons around a nucleus???

Does an ant know anything of the world that we perceive? Could he debate philosophical questions with us? Is he even aware of us? Could we communicate with that ant? Is he awed by the great length of his life? His accomplishments in creating vast underground cities?

Are we, and our universe, smaller than that ant in relation to some other species? Not trapped in a snowglobe, Iccky, but completely unaware of each other's existence?

I think that many things are possible. I just sometimes wonder if this is.
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby lycan on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:24 pm

i think u have some good points and i think it could be posible
if we all have a special someone then they should just show themselfs sooner so we dont have to look so hard
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby punk04 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:41 pm

yes i corduantly agree
life is but a dream though the sleep that comes after is eternal and thus leads you to a greater bliss where you will sleep in an unending essence of purity and happyness
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby lycan on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:35 pm

the only thing i know of is the world is just a speck in the whole universe
if we all have a special someone then they should just show themselfs sooner so we dont have to look so hard
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:52 pm

One could go utterly insane considering all those possibilities.

For instance, what if our universe is a mere atom within the body of some ghastly viral cell, that is currently causing terrible pain within some harmless organism of immense size?

What if the universe of that immense organism is also an atom within a virus plaguing some even vaster organism?

But what if, somewhere in the line of these mind-boggling viewpoints, isa being of incredible goodness, who would be killed along with his universe, if someone tried to kill the virus that contained the atom that contained his universe?
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Cherokee_girl on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:44 pm

If I am thinking correctly, you are pointing out that somwhere in all those points, that incredibly good being could be destroyed, consequently destroying our own stystem of life as we know it, if this theory were true. Correct?
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.

Postby lycan on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:30 pm

wow that sucks i thought we all were just some alien garbage droped here
and now we are forming into something interesting so they r visting us for
our resorce and our female speices so they can amuned to what u have
here that might be deadly or not
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Astarte on Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Cherokee_girl wrote:If I am thinking correctly, you are pointing out that somwhere in all those points, that incredibly good being could be destroyed, consequently destroying our own stystem of life as we know it, if this theory were true. Correct?

If you're talking to me....no, I mean a being, nieither good nor evil, but totally unaware of our existence.

Just as if the body of an ant contained a whole universe, and we trod on it walking across the grass.
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Cherokee_girl wrote:If I am thinking correctly, you are pointing out that somwhere in all those points, that incredibly good being could be destroyed, consequently destroying our own stystem of life as we know it, if this theory were true. Correct?

Yep. But we would probably never know it, just as the ant Astarte stomped on probably never knew what hit it.

I wonder if anyone, any teacher, has ever stopped and recorded the reactions of their students when they first learned that each of them is actually not a single entity but an entire universe of connected cells, around and in which swarm multitudes of other cells (benign, beneficial and harmful) and each cell of which is composed of other tiny structures like mitochondria, and, ultimately, atoms, which in turn are composed of even smaller bits, which in turn could be composed of even smaller bits that our instruments cannot yet detect.

Imagine that Bob New York City is sitting in school and is suddenly told that he is not who he thinks he is, a man, but that he is actually a giant metropolis of taxi drivers, muggers, Mafia hit men, homeless folk, business men, models, publishers, tranvestites, cigarette smokers, cafeteria workers, etc.

I wish I could remember how I felt. It must be like being inducted into a new religion.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby punk04 on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:23 am

yep
life is but a dream though the sleep that comes after is eternal and thus leads you to a greater bliss where you will sleep in an unending essence of purity and happyness
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:20 am

Ok, just for argument, eather way, does it matter? I would say something only matters if you are going to change because of it. Lets say that we knew for a fact that we were just infinately small compared to some other universe. What are you gong to so about it? I assume, nothing. See?
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby lycan on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:39 pm

well u cannt do anything about it but u can still have a conversation in
how much smaller or bigger it is compared to ours guys do all the time
when it comes to sertain things and the fact of u cannt change it doesnt
stop them from doing it so if we wish to disscus to size of our planet in
terms of size compared to others then that is great or bad which ever
way u want to look at it
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Astarte on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:52 pm

It's just talk and wondering if other people also think about strange things. We can't do anything about death and taxes either, but we talk about them.

It's always interesting to see how people react to certain things and when we bring up lots of different topics to talk about we also discover how some people think about those.

I enjoy reading all the heated debates on this forum because I think it's a good thing that there are so many different ideas being expressed. It would be very boring if we all thought the same way and never discussed anything except to agree.
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby lycan on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:13 pm

that is true

now to get back on subject if u think about it we r mearly a small speck
in our vast universe and i am sorry but to think of us as say the center like
we use to is kind of well ignorant (i am not saying that that someone as
mentioned it) but think if we still thought the wasy our ancestors did we
would be pretty dumb
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter