Why can't we live forever?

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Why can't we live forever?

Postby Mysti on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:56 pm

Why can't we live forever? Mabye there is a greater force that stops us from learning the secrets of the world as we grow older, or mabye it is the case simply beacuse of overcrowding? Also, do you think biological immortality can aver be a possibility, bearing in mind life spans are constantly increasing?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 am

well I would not like people to live forever because a lot of people quit caring the older they get so it would be rather pointless plus style changes so often that if you lived forever and didn't want to keep up with it, it would be sort of odd
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Living forever

Postby nil on Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am

The problem for living forever is it's no different from death.

You can't see anything in complete darkness. Neither can you see anything in complete light (i.e. with absolutely no shadow).

When you live forever, you will eventually be desensitized of everything and nothing will interest you anymore. Think of billions and billions of years later, when all form of entertainment is exhausted, what will you do? Life becomes completely pointless. You will be sitting around for trillions of years doing nothing. That won't be too much different from laying dead underneath, will it?
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby lycan on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:57 am

no living for ever because then pain stays with you forever
if we all have a special someone then they should just show themselfs sooner so we dont have to look so hard
lycan
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:00 pm

Nil does have a point but I disagree with it.. If everyone lived forever, aka was immortal there would be so many more oppertunities! We'd have explored every region of space, walked streets nude, and experienced everything we cannot now.

But truly everyone IS immortal in some way. No human life is unaccounted for no matter what the importance of their life was. Wether they live on in the memories of their families and friends, or in books, or just in things they have accomplished the very essence of a living person is never forgotten.

Then again that is a bit philisophical... Maybe we all DO truly live forever or maybe lying under the ground is our ultimate fate, maybe there is afterlife and maybe there is not, there is no true way to know, no matter what ANY book or preacher says.
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:04 pm

Chazoa wrote:Nil does have a point but I disagree with it.. If everyone lived forever, aka was immortal there would be so many more oppertunities! We'd have explored every region of space, walked streets nude, and experienced everything we cannot now.

But truly everyone IS immortal in some way. No human life is unaccounted for no matter what the importance of their life was. Wether they live on in the memories of their families and friends, or in books, or just in things they have accomplished the very essence of a living person is never forgotten.

Then again that is a bit philisophical... Maybe we all DO truly live forever or maybe lying under the ground is our ultimate fate, maybe there is afterlife and maybe there is not, there is no true way to know, no matter what ANY book or preacher says.

I liked most of what you said, Chazoa, and welcome back by the way. But who are you to declare that "there is no true way to know?" Just because you don't know how to figure skate, doesn't mean that no one else does, either. Just because I haven't been to China, doesn't mean that my neighbor who claims to have been there, is a liar and there is no China.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Well maybe someone knows but I wouldn't go trying to find them! The reason why?
I'm too lazy to dig. Blahhhh!
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Chazoa wrote:Well maybe someone knows but I wouldn't go trying to find them! The reason why?
I'm too lazy to dig. Blahhhh!

When you reach a point in life where it matters to you, you will dig.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:24 pm

Even then, it's not like they'll tell you much, considering they're just corpses.
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Pixyboo on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:34 am

cos we die
Pixyboo
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby hamster on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:33 pm

Ah, that kind of digging. lol. I assumed you spoke of a spiritual search.

It's a misconception that only by putting together a conversation with someone who is dead, can one learn the truth about what happens after we die.

I don't have to go to Oregon to learn the truth about Oregon, or even to verify that it exists. I don't even necessarily have to talk to someone who lives there. I can be assured of its existence as a state, and even gather pieces of knowledge about it, in various other ways.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 pm

Then tell me who to talk to about this subject, what guru knows what everyone else does not?
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Pixyboo on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:27 am

guru? gurus dont exist
Pixyboo
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:44 pm

Pixyboo wrote:guru? gurus dont exist

That post was utter spam...

I was using guru as a verb meaning wise one, or intelligent one, not the "non-existant" gurus you speak of.
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:37 am

Chazoa wrote:
Pixyboo wrote:guru? gurus dont exist

That post was utter spam...

I was using guru as a verb meaning wise one, or intelligent one, not the "non-existant" gurus you speak of.

ummmmmm, noun.

But anyway, you will all hate me for it, but I look at this question from a scientest's veiwpoint. That is, I come to my conclution (some all it a "hypothosis") and then try to back it up.

I think that people can't live forever because we don't do enough cartwheels. If we did enough cartwheels, we could live forever. This is obviously true, because no one lived forever, therefore no one has done enough cartwheels.

:D
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Next