Gun control

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Gun control

Postby nil on Tue May 01, 2007 4:00 am

What do you think about gun control?

Do you own a gun?

Is it a real gun or a toy gun (like... a water gun)?

If it is a toy gun, have you shot anyone with your that gun? What is their response? (if it's a real gun, I don't want to know...)
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Astarte on Tue May 01, 2007 6:02 am

I like living in Australia where normal, everyday people don't carry guns. I don't even know anyone who owns a firearm.

I hate water pistols, too.
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Re: Gun control

Postby Insanity test on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:58 pm

If guns are freely available in local shops there is always the risk of a nutter 'looking' at one, shooting the shopkeeper and going on an insane rampage. If the guns aren't there, the worst he could do would be a saw or a big knife - both of which are hidious, of course, but neither quite as destructive.

Of course you don't have to take my word for it, it's plainly obvious looking at the gun related crime differences between two countries, one with stricter gun laws and one with less.

I've heard it argued that a gun could save a poor old lady from an intruder, but I'm afraid I disagree totally - a little old lady won't have the strength to handle the recoil from even a small handgun and will likely do more damage to herself than the intruder, and if she does get him/her but doesn't incapacitate, will the the intruder meekly back off or go for the person who just shot them and now has a broken arm?
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

Postby TheCountess on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:04 am

Ok, so this post hasn't been umm posted on in a while, but I'm gonna have my say anyway gosh darnit.

It's hard to get a gun in New Zealand. To buy one, you need a gun license and then, once you have it, it needs to be registered. However, there have been a few cases that make me think gun control needs even more tightening.

We DO have gun stores, for those who legitimately need a gun... hunting I guess. Anyway, some guy ran into the shop demanding guns and waving a machete around and threatening to kill the proprietor. The clerk shot him, in the leg, there was drama, etc, etc, but my point is, you shouldn't be able to walk off the street into a shop and buy (or demand) a gun.

And more recently, the police raided a bunch of separatists who were storing illegal military style guns, molotov cocktails, napalm and unregistered guns. They had been threatening to kill all the whites in NZ. And the POLICE are the ones the public have flayed over it. Go figure, I knew there was a reason I'm leaving this country. ANYWAY, so these guys not only owned illegal guns, they didn't bother registering the ones they could have had legally. So maybe the process there needs cleaning up? Or maybe there should be NO GUNS except for military and police use.

I don't know. And whoever said guns don't kill people, people kill people, as a justification for allowing guns, must be pretty thick to not realise that if people didn't have guns, killing other people would be a lot more effort. Sheesh. :noway:
I will holler you Home
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby lifeis42 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:48 pm

no it wouldn't if some one wants some one dead what diffrence does make if its with a gun in the us most gun killings are at close range any way and Guns don't kill people they dont just pick them selves up point themselves at some one and pull there own trigger. people use them wrong 123,834people that own a gun in the us wont shoot some one today. if we only let the police and military have guns then gun crimes will only go up. people that comit gun crimes could care less wether some one says they cant own a gun they'll still get the and then nobody else will have guns to defend them selve. Guns are just something we have to live with. :|
trancendentalism thats the way to go
lifeis42
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby lifeis42 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:51 pm

yes i own a gun a real gun several of them and i have shot people with toy guns and paintball gunswith the real ones i have shot animals with most of them but 1 or 2 are just sport guns
lifeis42
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 am

If someone wants to kill someone of equal strength there will be a long fight with no clear outcome.
If the killer has a knife, they will most likely win, but there will be a struggle.
If the killer has a gun, the other person doesn't even have to know they're there.
Even if the defender has a gun, their life will be decided on how fast they can draw - decided in a second. And in addition, if they are fast enough, they will be forced to kill to survive. A fist could kill, but is more likely to knock unconscious.

Did you not post on another thread recently saying that survival as a reason to exist brings about killing? It is only made easier with more advanced implements to do so being freely available.

Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby lifeis42 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:18 am

yes but there will always be guns so we must live with them and survival does bring about killing but it has with the dawn of humans a knife could also be just as effective

did you know that 3/100 bullets fired from a criminal hit a victim and only one of those is leathal
lifeis42
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 pm

This is true, but trying to control a problem is better than becoming part of it.

Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby lifeis42 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:20 am

true
lifeis42
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby lifeis42 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:22 am

problems will never be resolved
lifeis42