Internet Explorer Security Exploit Thing

A place to welcome new, return and extincted members. Also a place to say Hello, Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and such.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Internet Explorer Security Exploit Thing

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Microsoft themselves have denounced their child! Not really, but this seems quite a nasty little problem, so I thought I'd stick it here. Internet Explorer has a problem. It allows evil people to hurt you in some way. This will be fixed quite soon, but at the moment has not been fixed. It's more dangerous than usual, and has even hit the news.

To 'prevent' it, (this only applies to Internet explorer, other browsers are same as ever):

Tools >> Internet Options >> Security Tab >> Set security levels to "High".

There are other steps for beefing up your security against this threat, but they are complicated. Microsoft explain them in their original article here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/961051.mspx (under "Faq")

This applies to any site, and any site "may" be infected, even if it's one you regularly use (even here could potentially be!). There will be a patch soon, but better safe then sorry until then. :willy:
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Re: Internet Explorer Security Exploit Thing

Postby nil on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 am

I recently switched to Google Chrome http://www.google.com/chrome, other than a little bug here and there, I think it's the perfect browser. It has the minimalist approach (like iPod). It's not that it has less feature but it can do everything everybody else can do without getting too cluttered and clumsy. It's light and fast. My only complaint is that it still haven't fix some of the odd bugs after becoming gold.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 pm

The eplorer bug will now be patched when you next update!

I tried Chrome (I use Firefox myself), but found it to be a ram munching monster! Each new tab was taking 30Mb of ram, which was quite painful. I did really like it other than that, and if someone told me "yes they've fixed the memory usage" I'd probably try it again. Though it does lack the wealth of plugins available for firefox...
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Mysti on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 pm

My linux-running Eee PC uses Firefox but right now I'm on my husband's computer using Google Chrome which is not at all a bad browser. I rarely, if ever, use IE these days. There are so many better alternatives. :willy:
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:36 am

It's now safe again. Just make sure you have the latest updates, and then you may return to your normal way of life.

:killall:
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter