Back from Italy

Do you think the Universe is a Pie, a Turtle or something else? Post your opinion here.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Back from Italy

Postby jcambece on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:52 am

Well I am back, It was fun (most of the time)… The fish made it (but it was only because we know people in customs). I learned about my culture and met my family. The scenery is beautiful there. Its so different from America I didn’t know how to handle it, seems like everyone there is insane… prices there are nuts too lots of things are way more expensive there, but on the flip side some awesome stuff there is like half price from American goods. Well that’s all for now.

Cambece
J.A. Cambece
jcambece
Almost Hatter
Almost Hatter

Postby Astarte on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:33 am

Eeeek!!!!

Tell us more, please!!

(I think the fish story is so funny.)

Did you buy anything? What did you see? Come on! 8)
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:58 pm

Insane? How so? I found the pace of life in the US rather insane when I returned from Hungary back in 1994.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Astarte on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Hungary is an unusual place to visit, what were you doing there?
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 pm

Astarte wrote:Hungary is an unusual place to visit, what were you doing there?

I was a missionary in that lovely land. It's been years now, but I still miss so much about those long-suffering people: their fervent hospitality; their beautiful language; their passion for poetry; the kiflis and the langos; the bakeries selling bread still warm from the oven; the lack of suburban sprawl; the fields golden with corn; the medieval castles untouched amidst vast solitude; the incredible feeling of walking down streets in cities that were thousands of years old, but aah, I'm derailing this thread.

That's why I picked the flag in the left corner of my posts. Piros, feher, zold, mint a Magyar fold. It's a poem for Hungarian children about their flag: Red, white and green, like the Hungarian land/soil.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby jcambece on Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 pm

hamster wrote:Insane? How so? I found the pace of life in the US rather insane when I returned from Hungary back in 1994.

Insane like driving really fast on tiny streets or on the wrong side of the street. Having huge parties up on a mountain 9that was awesome,but different for me... Having gates around everyones property due to the crime rate...Thats just sum stuff that makes me think its insane over there, not to mention they have 3 types of police and 2 of them are easy to get away from and the last set is some form of super cop they cracks down on you if they see you doing anything wrong (but there isnt but that is wrong there)

Cambece
J.A. Cambece
jcambece
Almost Hatter
Almost Hatter

Postby Astarte on Mon May 01, 2006 11:32 pm

hamster wrote:I was a missionary in that lovely land. It's been years now, but I still miss so much about those long-suffering people: their fervent hospitality; their beautiful language; their passion for poetry; the kiflis and the langos; the bakeries selling bread still warm from the oven; the lack of suburban sprawl; the fields golden with corn; the medieval castles untouched amidst vast solitude; the incredible feeling of walking down streets in cities that were thousands of years old, but aah, I'm derailing this thread.

That's why I picked the flag in the left corner of my posts. Piros, feher, zold, mint a Magyar fold. It's a poem for Hungarian children about their flag: Red, white and green, like the Hungarian land/soil.

That's really interesting, hamster. Have you ever thought of going back there live?

What job could you do to support yourself?
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Tue May 02, 2006 1:53 pm

I thought about it, have thought about it. Maybe someday. I'm a writer by trade, so something in that field might work for me over there.

I try to keep up on the language by reading some of the books I brought back and I've toyed with the idea of translating some of their wonderful poets, who are unknown in the West, into English.

Translating poetry is no easy task, I might add. I spent about half an hour on one cluster of words that seemed to mean "fairies sporting in the sky above the corn," but could also be translated as fairies flirting in the clouds. Or with the clouds.

But without translation, the brilliance of such writers is known only to readers of their language.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Astarte on Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Lost in translation....

I think some things are probably best experienced in their native languages. It's not just getting the phrase right , it's the whole cultural experience that has created that particular phrase and the emotions/memories/empathies it evokes... :)

But a writer can live anywhere, and you are still single, I believe..........
Maybe you need to go back to see it anew.
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Re: Back from Italy

Postby Pixyboo on Fri May 05, 2006 7:36 am

jcambece wrote:Well I am back, It was fun (most of the time)… The fish made it (but it was only because we know people in customs). I learned about my culture and met my family. The scenery is beautiful there. Its so different from America I didn’t know how to handle it, seems like everyone there is insane… prices there are nuts too lots of things are way more expensive there, but on the flip side some awesome stuff there is like half price from American goods. Well that’s all for now.

Cambece

is that all u took from the place? th price of goods? 4 shame
Pixyboo
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Pixyboo on Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 am

hamster wrote:Insane? How so? I found the pace of life in the US rather insane when I returned from Hungary back in 1994.

r u a priest?
Pixyboo
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Pixyboo on Fri May 05, 2006 7:40 am

jcambece wrote:

Insane like driving really fast on tiny streets or on the wrong side of the street. Having huge parties up on a mountain 9that was awesome,but different for me... Having gates around everyones property due to the crime rate...Thats just sum stuff that makes me think its insane over there, not to mention they have 3 types of police and 2 of them are easy to get away from and the last set is some form of super cop they cracks down on you if they see you doing anything wrong (but there isnt but that is wrong there)

Cambece

is there not a crime rate in america???
Pixyboo
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter